Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta
This is a delicious, healthy and low budget family dinner suitable for all the family. Serves 4-6 adult portions.
- 4 or 600g Chicken fillets
- 500g Pasta such as tagliatelle
- 2 White Onions
- 3 Peppers
- 200 grams Peas or Sweetcorn
- 200 grams Full fat Cream Cheese/Plant cheese e.g. violife
- 400 mls Chicken stock- use low salt if have baby
- 4 tbsp/cloves Garlic
- Bunch Basil
- 1/2 Lemon
- 2 tsp Cajun spice blend
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Dried Basil
- 3 tbsp Tomato puree
- Chilli Flakes- optional!
- Measure out all the ingredients.
- Start by coating the chicken breast in 1tsp Cajun spice, dried basil and olive oil. Preheat pan over a high heat and sear the chicken on each side for 3 minutes, or until fully cooked (5-10 minutes).
- Set the chicken aside and deglaze the pan with a splash of water, keep this liquid for the flavour for the next part.
- Next, add the onions into the pan and reduce the heat to medium/low. Season with salt and cook for around 3 minutes before adding the peppers. Cook for a further 4 minutes.
- At this stage, add your pasta to heavily salted boiling water. Timer set to 2 minutes minus the packet time.
- Next, add the tomato puree, garlic and 1 tsp Cajun spice into the pan. Fry for around 2 minutes before adding a ladle of pasta water.
- Add the cream cheese into the pan along with the chicken stock and lemon juice. Add the peas and stir to combine and add the aldente pasta. Continue to cook and stir to incorporate everything. Season with salt and pepper.
- Loosen with pasta water as necessary and when the pasta is perfectly cooked and the sauce has thickened, serve immediately. Add the Cajun chicken (sliced into chunks), a sprinkle of chilli flakes and torn fresh basil on top.
- Baby friendly serving suggestion
- Younger child portion- use a bright colour plate to make it even more appealing!
You can use gluten free pasta for those with an allergy or Coeliac Disease.