As a children’s dietitian, I’m often asked for tips on how to get kids interested in healthy eating. One of my favorite strategies is to involve kids in the cooking process. Not only does it make them more excited to try new foods, but it also teaches them important life skills.
Today, we’re going to make some delicious and healthy banana oat muffins. This recipe is perfect for cooking with kids because it’s easy, fun, and can be adapted to suit different tastes. So, gather your little chefs and let’s get started!
Banana Oat Muffins
- 2 Large Ripe Mashed Bananas
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1.5 cups Rolled Oats
- 2/3 cup Peanut butter
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Cinnamon (optional)
- Can add nuts, berries or chocolate chips to mix it up! I added in 1 handful of raspberries
- Pre-heat the oven to 190c.
- Measure out all ingredients.
- Mash bananas
- Add the egg, peanut butter, & vanilla extract.
- Mix well & add the rolled oats and baking powder.
- Stir again & add any extras such as raspberries, pour into a muffin tin lined with parchment paper
- Bake for 22-25 minutes or until light & golden.
- Cool, serve & enjoy!
Cooking with kids is a great opportunity to teach them about measuring, mixing, and kitchen safety. Encourage your little ones to help with each step of the recipe, from mashing the bananas to scooping the batter into the muffin tin. You can even turn it into a fun math lesson by asking them to measure out the ingredients using measuring cups and spoons.
When it comes to mix-ins, feel free to get creative! You can add in chopped nuts, dried fruit, or even a sprinkle of chocolate chips for a special treat. Just be sure to keep an eye on portion sizes and limit added sugar where possible.
These banana oat muffins are a tasty and nutritious snack that your kids are sure to love. They’re also great for meal prep – simply make a batch on the weekend and store them in an airtight container for a quick and easy breakfast or snack throughout the week.
Thanks for cooking with me today! I hope you and your little chefs enjoyed making these muffins as much as I did. Keep an eye out for more fun and healthy recipes to try with your kids soon!