Looking for a quick and scrumptious dinner option that will wow your taste buds? This Mediterranean Orzo Salad is not only a feast for the eyes but also a nutritious delight for the entire family. The orzo pasta provides an energy rich base, while the chickpeas add a boost of plant-based protein and fibre. The purple cabbage adds a vibrant pop of colour and is rich antioxidants, while the courgette brings a light and refreshing crunch. Get ready to indulge in haloumi heaven with those delectable cubes of cheesy goodness! The creamy and salty haloumi perfectly complements the other ingredients, adding an irresistible twist to this Mediterranean delight. The tangy lemon juice and fruity olive oil bring everything together, creating a symphony of Mediterranean tastes that will leave you wanting more.
One of the best parts about preparing this salad is getting your little ones involved in the kitchen! Let them rinse and chop the colourful veggies. Their participation not only adds to the fun but also helps them develop a positive relationship with food. Creating a rainbow effect with these vibrant veggies is not only visually appealing but also a great way to introduce them to a healthy & delicious meal.
Ready to explore more delicious and nutritious recipes like this one? Sign up to our mailing list now and discover the wonders of fuss-free and budget-friendly cooking. You’ll receive exclusive recipes and expert tips to help you raise happy and healthy eaters.
Mediterranean Orzo Salad
- 3/4 cup orzo
- 1 can can chickpeas rinsed
- 1/4 purple cabbage
- 1 courgette
- 1/3 haloumi cubed
- 1 small can small can corn
- 2 tbsp Lemon
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Optional: coriander for garnish
- Measure out all the ingredients & chop the vegetables and haloumi.
- In a pot of boiling water, add orzo and cook as per package instructions.
- In a separate pan using some olive oil, sauté courgette for 2-3 minutes, then add chickpeas with some salt & pepper.
- Discard in a bowl and in the same pan sauté haloumi until soft with a bit of colour!
- While the haloumi is cooking, chop the cabbage, and drain the cooked orzo.
- To make dressing: mix 2 tbsp olive oil, 2 tbsp lemon and salt.
- In a large serving bowl add: orzo, zucchini and chickpeas, haloumi, cabbage and corn. Add in dressing and mix well.
- Garnish with corriander and serve!
So, why wait? It’s time to bring the flavours of the Mediterranean to your table with our mouthwatering Mediterranean Orzo Salad. From family dinners to potlucks and gatherings, this salad is a surefire hit that will leave everyone asking for seconds. Enjoy the nutritionally balanced meal and the joy of cooking with your loved ones. Bon appétit!
If you’re facing fussy eating challenges with your little ones, we’re here to help! Our expert 1:1 support is tailored to address your specific needs, providing guidance and strategies to create stress-free mealtimes.
By Dr Kirsty Porter, Children’s Dietitian & Christina Constantinidou, Dietetic Student